Thursday, June 25, 2009

Funeral

I hate funerals but I'm going to one today. My dear friend Travis passed away Monday. 37 years old, heart attack. I can't believe it, can't accept it. I wonder...what the hell! How could this happen?
It's the saddest family story ever. I knew his mother, Cathy, loved her, was addressed by her as Stepchild, which was an enormous comfort to me. I knew her daughter, Travis' sister Sheila, who was my Evil Twin. I know Cathy's husband Dale and have known the whole lot of them since the early nineties. Sheila passed away from a sudden illness almost two-three? years ago, in October. Cathy passed away over a year ago around Valentine's Day. And now Travis. Unexpected and uncalled for. I can't wrap my mind around it. I can't imagine what Dale is dealing with- and through it all he managed to get a message to me about the service today. So of course, yes, I'll go. To show my respect for him, his family and their grief.
I can't help but ask why. People who all had so much life ahead of them, so much to live for, a family wiped out. I can't understand it.

No comments: